Thursday, November 4, 2010

A New Month - A New Pledge

For the longest time I have been trying to get to the gym BEFORE work. This means getting up by at least 6 and heading to the Y while most of the Universe is sound asleep. this weeks recent battle with insomnia has allowed this to happen. I am proud to say that at 5:30 AM yesterday morning I couldn't take the restless non-sleep anymore and decided to hit the gym.

It was as great as I remembered! There was no wait or line up for any machine. There were no 16 year old boys constantly changing the TV channels. There was only serious, dedicated fitness seekers. Most of them were the same people that I remember from months ago when I was one of them.

I manages a steady one hour of cardio without worrying that I was holding someone up from getting on my machine and with a clear and happy head and heart. The idea of waking in darkness and going to the gym is one that I struggled with, but I found it all worth it when I realized that could check the one hour of cardio off my list along with the half hour of core moves and i was showered and at work by 8AM. long before my colleagues arrive.

I expected Sid to find me asleep under my desk by 2:00 but in reality I was alert and super efficient all day. Coincidentally @WomensHealthMag tweeted a link to an online article about the brain boosting benefits of cardio.

Though it doesn't mention anything about working out the AM that time just feels right for me. I think I'll try to get to the gym in the mornings for the entire month of November, because like Sid I am resetting the clock. My scale tells me that I am back at my original starting weight and so it seems fitting to start over.

What I pledged to do in October didn't work for me. This whole fitness/weight loss/health thing turned out to be about trial and error really. What works for some people doesn't work for others. And so here is my new November Pledge:

1. To TRY do my cardio and core in the mornings before work. (Realistically there will be morning i won't get there).
2. To eat healthy foods while not depriving myself of decadence. The feeling of deprivation makes me want things more, so moderation must be practiced.
3. To listen to Sid's great advice and spend 20 minutes a day (evenings) with Jillian Michaels and her 30 day shred. (I recenlty purchased her DVD box set and can't wait to try the yoga too!)
4. To take advantage of Cape Breton and its natural and beautiful hiking areas on the weekends when I can and before it the winter really hits.

So that's it. I have officially pushed re-start. I don't feel like I've failed this 30 day thing because I feel like I have a learned many valuable lessons and have new knowledge to carry me forward. I hope our followers will stay with us past our initial 30 day challenge. The comments, suggestions and positive energy is playing a surprisingly huge roll in motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment